What are cookies?
Cookies are small data files that are received on the terminal from the website visited and are used to record certain browsing interactions on a website storing data that can be updated and retrieved. These files are stored on the user’s computer and contain anonymous data that is not harmful to your computer. They are used to remember the user’s preferences, such as the language selected, the login details or the personalization of the page.
Cookies can also be used to record anonymous information about how a visitor uses a website. For example, from which web page you accessed, or if you used an advertising “banner” to get there.
Our website may contain social media links (such as Facebook or Instagram). Topbiodiversity does not control the cookies used by these external networks. For more information about cookies on social networks or other websites, we advise you to review your own cookie policies.
What use do we make of the different types of cookies?
According to its purpose:
- Technical cookies: Technical cookies are those that are essential and strictly necessary for the correct operation of a web portal and the use of the different options and services it offers. For example, those used for session maintenance, response time management, performance or option validation, using security features, sharing content with social media, and more.
- Personalization cookies: These cookies allow the user to specify or personalize some features of the general options of the website, for example, define the language, configure the region or the type of browser.
- Analytical cookies: Analytical cookies are those used by our web portal to create browsing profiles and to know the preferences of users in order to improve the offer of products and services. For example, an analytical cookie would control the geographical areas of greatest interest to a user, which product is the most accepted, and so on.
- Advertising / advertising cookies: Advertising cookies allow the management of advertising spaces based on specific criteria. For example, access frequency, edited content, etc. Advertising cookies allow through the management of advertising to store behavioral information through the observation of habits, studying access and forming a profile of user preferences, to offer advertising related to the interests of their profile.
Depending on the term:
- Session cookies: Session cookies are those that last as long as the user is browsing the web and are deleted at the end.
- Persistent cookies: These cookies are stored in the user’s terminal, for a longer time, so that they facilitate the control of the chosen preferences without having to repeat certain parameters each time the website is visited.
What if I don’t want to have these cookies or I don’t do anything about it?
To comply with current legislation, we must ask for your permission to manage cookies. If you decide not to authorize the treatment indicating non-compliance, we will only use technical cookies, as they are essential for browsing our website. In this case, we would not store any cookies. By continuing to browse our website without denying your permission, you agree to use it.
If you still decide to change the settings for your access to the website, you should be aware that it is possible to delete cookies or prevent this information from being recorded on your computer at any time by changing your browser settings:
These browsers are subject to updates or modifications, so we cannot guarantee that they will fully conform to your browser version. To avoid these mismatches, you can access them directly from your browser options, which are usually found in the “Options” menu, in the “Privacy” section. (See your browser’s help for more information.)